To maximise student potential and outcomes the school is funding the role of a Community Education Counsellor (CEC) to provide further support for our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and their families.
The role of a CEC includes:
- Supporting student and family engagement
- Implementing student support programs
- Establishing and maintaining links with community based services
- Providing information to the school community about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives.
- Assisting with developing an awareness of cultural protocols and the needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and their families.
Meet our CEC, Leilani Holt. Leilani has come to us from Hymba Yumba Independent School. Leilani is of Maori, Samoan and Chilean heritage. Having been taken in by an Aboriginal family from the age of 10, then going on to marry an Aboriginal man, and mother two young children, Leilani has a particularly keen interest in working with Indigenous youth. Leilani is heavily involved in coordinating and leading cultural experiences within our school.
Do you have a skill or knowledge you can share with Marsden State School and our students? Please contact our CEC Leilani to discuss further.